CAUSE AND EFFECT EXERCISE
“Greenland Ice Sheet Melting Faster Than Thought“
February 17, 2006 from National Public Radio’s Morning Edition
A. Research Facts (source material: NPR Radio Report):
1) Why are researchers interested in
2) What are two opposing processes mentioned by Rignot that might either cause the icecap to melt, or to replenish it? What is actually happening?
3) According to Harris, how fast is
6) According to Steffan, what are the effects of this rapid melting? What problems might these effects, in turn, cause?
7) According to Steffan, are these processes fully understood? Does he feel that the data is certain?
B. CAUSE AND EFFECT ANALYSIS:
1. What is the primary cause of
2. What caused that condition?
3. Why is the melting occurring at such an increased rate?
4. What is the effect of all of this ice melt on the ocean?
5. What is a possible effect of this on
6. What might result from changes to
7. Are there any other contributory causes to this situation?